Sometimes life is messy. Especially if you live with one husband and two teenaged boys. Sometimes the mess belongs to them and sometimes the mess belongs to me. The piles of shoes, books and laundry that inhabit my days are a reminder that life is not about perfection. These are the things I think about. Pardon the mess.

Friday, February 11, 2011

The Real Thing


There is nothing on this earth better than a cold 16 oz. Coke in a glass bottle. OK, that is an exaggeration but it does taste pretty darn good that way.  Everything about it is good.  The little pieces of ice that form on the surface of the liquid. The sound of the bottle opener as it frees the carbon gas. That first drink that sends fizz up your nose and gives you the hiccups. This is the stuff of my childhood.

At family reunions a huge galvanized tub sat in the shade packed with ice and beneath that ice were frosty bottles of Coke, 7-Up and Orange Crush.  An opener was tied to the tub’s handle but was seldom used. It was much preferred to just yank the bottle across the edge of the tub, dislodging the cap from the bottle. At least that’s what the cool kids did.  It was an art, believe me. You nearly froze your fingers off fishing for that bottle and afterwards you  found your mother and placed your frozen hand on the back of her neck.  Well, some kids might have.  By the end of the afternoon we were so full of Coke we could have floated home - the caps jingling in our pockets the whole way.

At my Grandmother’s house there was always a supply of 16 oz. bottles stored in the door of her refrigerator.  There was an open invitation to have one. No permission needed.  I remember many late Friday nights spent on her living room couch.  She sat at one end painting her fingernails and I sat at the other with a bottle of Coke. We watched Johnny Carson. We talked about the “old days” and sometimes we even talked about boys. 

Saturday was grocery day at our house. It was my job (along with my sister) to gather the empty bottles to return to the store. We each had our own 8-pack of bottles to return for 10 cents each.  My sister usually saved her money but I spent mine immediately.  Five feet from the customer service desk was a display of the weeks top ten 45 rpm records.  That 80 cents never had the chance to warm in my hand. As long as I had my bottle deposit money, I never left the store without a song.

These days, I drink my Coke from a cup.  A 16 oz. glass bottle is just a memory. A wonderful memory from a wonderful childhood. It’s the real thing.

2 comments:

gahender said...

Coke was a huge part of my childhood too!! The cold bottles were the BEST...

Unknown said...

For a Texan, it was the DP in the bottle. Oh my gosh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.