Sometimes life is messy. Especially if you live with one husband and two teenaged boys. Sometimes the mess belongs to them and sometimes the mess belongs to me. The piles of shoes, books and laundry that inhabit my days are a reminder that life is not about perfection. These are the things I think about. Pardon the mess.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Picture Box



     I have always loved photographs.  One of my favorite childhood memories is sitting with my grandmother and going through her picture box.  I would sit beside my grandmother with the box in my lap and we would look at every picture while my grandmother told its story.  If I was really lucky my mother and her youngest sister would be there to chime in and sometimes argue over details forgotten by one of them.  I felt included in a life that existed before I did.  To know my grandmother as a young woman and my mother and her siblings as children was a wonder to me. I cherished those pictures with all of my heart.  
     When my grandmother died I am not sure what became of the picture box (a bedspread box from Sears & Roebuck with yellowed masking tape on the corners).  I can only assume that the pictures were somehow divided among my aunts and uncle because most of them are still among family. Even without the photographs, the memories are clear - theirs and mine.  I hope one day in the future, I will sit with my grandchildren as I hold photograph after photograph and tell them the stories that make up our family.

No comments: